The Church of Santa Maria della Vita is located in via Clavature 10, in the historic center of Bologna, a few steps from Piazza Maggiore.
Built in the second half of the 13th century, after some extensions it was rebuilt at the end of the 17th century and subsequently completed with the dome designed by Giuseppe Tubertini (1787).
The Lamentation of the Dead Christ by Nicolò dell’Arca is worth a visit. The sculptural group is made up of seven life-size polychrome terracotta figures: the Virgin, the three Marys, St. John the Apostle and Joseph of Arimathea who weep over the body of the dead Christ.
The work was commissioned to Nicolò d’Apulia, known as dell’Arca because he was the author of the sepulchral ark of San Domenico in the homonymous Bolognese church, in 1463.