Piazza Giosuè Carducci is located on the line of the ancient city walls.
Precisely between Porta Maggiore and Porta Santo Stefano. Immediately behind the Santa Cristina Complex, which is home to the University’s Department of Arts. It is large and bright. Rather quiet despite the urban chaos being right nearby. There are students who come back, residents who pass and sometimes stop on benches in the shade.
It comes alive especially when groups of tourists or classes of all ages arrive, from elementary to high school: all with the intention of visiting the poet’s house-museum.
The Museum, housed on the ground floor since 1990, was established in 1893 to trace the history of Bologna from the French Revolution until the end of the First World War. The overall history of Bologna is placed in the wider panorama of the Risorgimento period, an epic seen no longer exclusively from a military and heroic point of view, but as an integral part of civil life, in its cultural, social, political and economic aspects.
On the first floor there is the almost intact apartment of Carducci and its library which documents the best of literary production from the 16th to the 19th century. Here are preserved ancient editions of rare texts, the archive of Carducci himself where he has preserved his work in verse and prose and useful testimonies to document himself and to pass on his multiform activity to posterity.