Guided tour by Paolo Cova from 4.30 pm.
The Museo Civico Medievale preserves seven stone sculptures, depicting the Giustizia and the patron saints of Bologna (San Domenico, San Pietro, San Floriano, Sant’Ambrogio, San Petronio and San Francesco).
The sculptures were originally placed in niches of the facade of the Palazzo della Mercanzia, the seat of the Court of the guild, whose design was carried out by the architect Antonio di Vincenzo, famous for starting the construction of the Basilica of San Petronio in Bologna.
The statues were made by the workshop of Iacobello and Pier Paolo Dalle Masegne (Venice, about 1350 – 1409 and 1386 – 1403), as can confirm the comparison with the marble altarpiece made by Pier Paolo between 1388 and 1392 for the high altar of the church of San Francesco. Probably their execution dates back to the end of the architectural works, just before the inauguration of the building occurred in 1391.
Museum ticket entrance (€ 5.00 full price / € 3.00 reduced). For subscribers to the Musei Metropolitani Card Bolognal’ingresso is free.
Medieval Civic Museum
Via Manzoni, 4 – Bologna
Tel. 051 2193930 – 2193916